Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A Spell of the Spirits

I have an ongoing project to develop simple modern practical magic methods that employ the spirits, rather than working with "magical energies". It's been a while...
This charm is intended to be an easy spell for practical magic rites, usable especially by those who have developed alliance relationships with specific operative spirts among the Gods, Dead and Landwights. For newcomers it might serve as a general calling to willing spirits, but it is surely better used by those with a developed group of allies.
Arrange the materials for your spell within the form of the conjuring circle as given here. Many enjoy drawing or inscribing the form of the circle on the floor or ground, but it can simply be used as a schematic for altar-top arrangements. Also arrange a small fire, and a small black bowl of water in the center of the figure. In the three circles arrange three small offerings of incense (a single cone for each works well), ready to light. With everything ready, bless the Water and Fire, saying:
The Fire, the Well, the Sacred Tree, flow and flame and grow in me
In Land, Sea and Sky, below and on high,
Let the Water be blessed and the Fire be hallowed!

Purify all, and perform any other preliminaries, then perform this preliminary convocation, lighting the three offerings for the Kindreds for the three verses . When concluded, proceed to work your spell, or even to simply describe your desires to the attendant spirits, closing with thanks.
So gather now, my spirits bright
Or shadowy, by day or night
By Fire’s light and Water’s dark
Come to me now – hear me, hark!

Come to my work, be by me seen
Up from earth and stone and green
Out from the cloud and wind and sea
Sun, moon and stars, all come down to me.

Come you forth from the House of Clay
From the Court of Death to the world of day
Mighty Dead, forebearers all
Heart and blood, come to my call

The Shining Ones, their power divine
I drink their blessing, make it mine
Strengthen my mind, my heart, my hand
In Sea or Sky, and on the Land

You who are my allies true
Come to me now, I call to you
Gods and Dead, and spirits all
Hear me, hark; come to my call

Magic I make now, three times three
Spirits I call you, come to me.
Beneath the Sky, on Land or Sea
Hear my spell, and make it be!