Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Brigid of the Mantles - Devotion to the Goddess.

Brigid is the chiefest god of our house, it is fair to say, without slighting in the least several others. For both L and I Brigid became a patron before we found our  way to Our Druidry. She has protected us and blessed us, we proclaim, at many turns of life.  Together we have developed and worked a series of more esoteric rites with the Goddess that have deepened and focused our personal work.

We've been feeling the juice here at the house. Locked down hard by winter, we've been feeling Brigid's shoulder-tap. We have ritual work planned for the immediate feast-weekend, including our big public offering in the park. For those it is customary for folks to bring an offering of song or poetry. I've been asking for new material, and this week has provided some.


This is a simple devotional song, set to a well-known irish aire with the well-suited name of 'Brigid O'Malley'.
This is just a scratch-track recorded at my desk, but I want to get it out there, and I neither write nor read music, I fear. I offer it to be sung in Her honor, and may we all have blessed season of purification, sustenance and renewal.



Brigid O’ the Mantles – Ian Corrigan 2014
(to ‘Brigid O’Malley’)

G                         Em                    C                                  
O Brigid of the Mantles, you make my heart easy
C                                         G           Em                     C       
With a wondrous admiration I come to your shrine.
C                            G            Em               C           
My heart in exaltation, I call to you sweetly
C                                       Em                  C                 G
That your healing and blessing, be on me and mine.

The Winter is passing, though ice is still clinging
To bough and to hillside, but your hearth is warm
With clan and with kindred we come to you singing
O Brigid of the Kindness to keep us from harm

The Fire of inspiration, that shines in the poet
Burns too in the forge and the Healer’s kind hand
The wondrous transformation, of loving and knowing
The gift of the Goddess in Sea, Sky and Land

O Brigid of the Mantles, you make my heart easy
With a wondrous admiration I come to your shrine.
My heart in exaltation, I call to you sweetly

That your healing and blessing, be on me and mine.

5 comments:

Molly Khan said...

Thank you Ian! I really enjoyed this song, and though I've never heard the traditional melody, it was fairly easy to pick up. Now I want to find a space for it in my Protogrove's Imbolc rite!

Anonymous said...

Brigid is very popular and there is good reason, too. I've been following her for years myself....

Unknown said...

lovely

Unknown said...

Very beautiful. Thank you for the blessing of this.

JacalineJ said...

Oh, very nice. Thank you.